Microsoft recommends that you use one of two basic approaches when you upgrade from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010:
- In-place upgrade. An in-place upgrade is used to upgrade all Microsoft SharePoint sites on the same hardware. See How to Migrate a Bamboo Web Part from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010 using the In-Place Upgrade Method for details.
- Database attach upgrade. A database attach upgrade enables you to move your content to a new farm or new hardware. See How to Migrate a Bamboo Web Part from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010 using the Database Attach Upgrade Method for details.
You can also combine these two types of upgrade in hybrid approaches that reduce downtime during an upgrade. For more information about these approaches, see Determine upgrade approach (SharePoint Server 2010) from Microsoft TechNet.
General Migration Restrictions for Bamboo Products
- Regardless of the upgrade method you choose, you MUST change existing SharePoint sites to use the new user SharePoint 2010 experience. If you don’t, some features of your Bamboo products will not work as expected.
- You need to make sure that you are running the latest available Bamboo product release in your SP2007 environment before migrating. Review information specific to the product(s) you are migrating to learn the minimum product release to migrate. See Bamboo product releases that are supported for migration from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010 for details.
- Bamboo Solutions does not support the migration of Bamboo products deployed on WSSv2/SharePoint 2003 environments to SharePoint 2010 farms.
- Bamboo Solutions does not support the downgrade of SharePoint editions when migrating from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010. For example, Bamboo products are not supported when migrating from MOSS 2007 to SharePoint Foundation 2010.
Migration Restrictions for Specific Bamboo Products
Before following the instructions for the method you choose, review information specific to the product(s) you are migrating. The In-Place Upgrade method is sometimes easier, but it takes longer. Some Bamboo products do not support the In-Place upgrade method and we recommend a hybrid In-Place Upgrade method as an alternative.