You can migrate existing SharePoint Discussion Board lists to Discussion Board Plus using the Discussion Board Plus Tool, included with the Discussion Board Plus Setup program. The Migration Tool allows you to migrate all existing discussion board topics and posts to a Discussion Board Plus list so you can take advantage of features like Sticky, Lock Topic, Suggest as Answer and Verify Answer.
There are three migration options available in the Discussion Board Plus Migration Tool. Select a migration function, complete the required information, and click Run. The SharePoint Discussion Board list will be migrated to the target Discussion Board Plus list.
For more details about each of the migration options, click an option in the list below.
The Migration Tool has the following features and limitations:
- All discussion board topics and posts are migrated.
- Attachments to posts are migrated.
- Existing SharePoint alerts can be migrated.
- Images in existing SharePoint Discussion Board list posts will be visible in the new Discussion Board Plus list in most cases:
- If the image is a link to an external URL and the URL is reachable from the source and target list, the image will be visible.
- If the image is in a SharePoint Picture Library and was inserted using the Insert Picture function, the image will be visible (the image link path is relative the root of the site collection).
- If the image link was inserted manually and the image source is an absolute path or is a relative path that is the same in relation to both the source and target lists, the image will be visible.
- If the image link was inserted manually and is a relative path that is not valid in the target list, the image will not be visible.
- SharePoint User and Group permissions from the source site are copied to the target site (only applicable if the source or target site does not inherit permissions).
- The source and target lists must be in the same site collection.
- The Migration Tool migrates one list at a time.