Run List Rollup from an Application Server
In versions 7.0 and higher, the backend services for List Rollup can be run from a SharePoint Application Server as an alternative to running on the SharePoint Web Front End (WFE) servers. This option also allows you to distribute the workload for different Web Applications across different Application Servers.
Note: A separate Application Server license is required each non-WFE server on which you decide to run the List Rollup service. The related Web Parts will still be installed and licensed for all Web Front End servers. Please contact Bamboo Solutions directly for more details.
To run the List Rollup services on an Application Server, you must perform the following steps:
|Install Application Server Add-in Components
From the product installer, select and install the Application Server Add-In. This will install the necessary components to run List Rollup on a SharePoint Application Server.
NOTE: This step is only required if you are trying to use an Application Server that is not also a Web Front End Server. If you want to use the Application Server functions on a WFE, skip this step.
|Install the Service Components
Go to Central Administration>Application Management>Bamboo List Rollup Service Administration and click the Install button to install the required components for the List Rollup Service and List Rollup Service Proxy to your farm.
NOTE: If the page returns an error saying “Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture”, you may need to run the Install-SPApplicationContent command as an administrator from the SharePoint Management Shell. For more information, see the following knowledge base article: https://store.bamboosolutions.com/KB/Article.aspx?id=11785
|Start the Service
Start the service on one or more servers:
- Click Manage next to one of the servers in the Service Instance Status section of the page. This will take you to the list of available services on your Application Server.
- Find the Bamboo List Rollup Service in the list of available services and click the Start link to the right of it.
Starting the service on one or more servers will start the List Rollup service instance on those servers. If more than one server runs this instance, then the load will be shared by all these instances with the use of the load balancer
|Add the List Rollup Service and Alert Service Proxy
Create instances of the List Rollup Service and List Rollup Service Proxy:
- Click on the Manage Service Applications link that is now visible at the bottom of the List Rollup Service Administration page, or go to Central Administration>Application Management>Service Applications.
- At the top of the page, click New and select the List Rollup Service Application from the list of available services.
- Enter a service application name such as “List Rollup Service Application”.
- Create a new application pool or use an existing one.
- Define the security account under which the service will run. This account will determine the data that can be accessed by List Rollup.
- Check the option for adding to the Default Proxy Group.
- Click OK to save the settings.
|Set List Rollup to Run on Application Servers
- From Central Administration, click List Rollup Settings from the List Rollup section.
- Choose the desired Web Application and choose Run List Rollup on Application Server to move processing functions for List Rollup from the Web Front End Servers to the configured Application Server.