Set Up Notification Reminder of Password Expiration
To set up e-mail notification that a user’s password has or will expire, follow these steps:
Redirect Users to Change Their Passwords
This topic describes how to configure Password Expiration properly, which is part of the Password Management Toolkit. It is assumed that the Web Part is properly installed, added to the desired page and the Active Directory Settings and SharePoint Settings options are configured.
Note: When Password Expiration is installed, the Bamboo Password Expiration Reminder Web Part is added to the Web Part Gallery.
||To configure the Active Directory Settings and SharePoint Settings options, follow the steps described in Configuring the Password Expiration Web Part.
Expand the Password Expiration Rules option. Fill in the following sections:
- Redirect Page URL: the user is automatically redirected to this URL.
- Grace period: if the password of the currently logged in account expires in fewer days than specified in the Grace period, the currently logged in user is redirected to a different page based on the Web Part configuration.
||Next, select the Automatically redirect users to the above URL option.
NOTE: After successfully configuring the Web Part, the currently logged in user is automatically redirected to the specified URL if their password expires within the specified grace period. If the user’s password does not expire within the defined grace period, no text is displayed. Bamboo Solutions recommends setting the Web Part’s Chrome Type in the Web Part Tool Pane under the Appearance option to None for improved user experience. Additionally, Bamboo Solutions recommends the purchase and integration of Password Change to meet the need of a password change control.
Configuring the Password Expiration Web Part
After successfully adding the Password Expiration Web Part to a page, the web part can be configured.
NOTE: When Password Expiration is installed, the Bamboo Password Expiration Reminder Web Part is added to the Web Part Gallery.
To configure the Password Expiration Web Part, follow these steps:
- To modify the Web Part properties, select Edit Web Part from the drop-down menu of the Bamboo Password Expiration Reminder window.
Note: This menu is only accessible for users with proper access rights.
Note: You can also use the Web Part tab on the upper panel, and then click the Web Part Properties button to display the Bamboo Password Expiration Reminder tool pane.
The Bamboo Password Expiration Reminder tool pane is displayed on the right side of the screen. Expand each section by clicking the plus sign next to the SharePoint Settings to configure the properties.
When you have configured the web part, click Apply and then OK in the web part tool pane.
Click the links below for further details on the settings of the Password Expiration Web Part configuration:
Configuring Password Expiration is a process that includes several steps described in each link below:
- Add the Web Part to a Page
- Overview of Password Expiration settings
- Configure Settings for Active Directory
- Configure SharePoint Settings
- Configure Password Expiration Rules
- Localize the Password Change Web Part
Configure Password Expiration Rules
This section determines the behavior of the Password Expiration Web Part. For further details of the Web Part behavior, see Use Cases. You can configure the following settings:
- Redirect Page URL: Depending on the configuration, the user will either be automatically redirected to this URL, or the URL will be displayed in a message.
- Grace period: If the currently logged-in account’s password expires in fewer days than specified in the Grace Period, the currently logged-in user sees a message or is redirected to a different page based on the Web Part configuration.
- Automatically redirect users to the above URL: If selected and the user’s password expires within the Grace Period, the user will be automatically redirected to the URL listed in the Redirect Page URL setting. For more details, see Redirect Users to Change Their Password.
- Display message in the Web Part: If selected and the user’s password expires within the Grace Period, a message defined in the rich text box is displayed. You can modify the message to meet your specific needs.
For more details, see Display a Message on a SharePoint Page.
Configure Settings for Active Directory
This section defines the account that accesses the user objects in the domain to determine their password status. The following settings can be specified:
Domain Name: Enter the domain name where the specific account resides.
Account Name: Enter an account name that will read the user’s current password. If the Password Setting Object (PSO) policy is enabled, this account must be a domain administrator, otherwise, enter an account for the domain administrator with read-only access rights to the Active Directory user information.
Configure SharePoint Settings
You can optionally select which SharePoint Groups to be excluded from the Password Expiration rules. The members of the excluded groups will never see the expiration notice for their passwords.
NOTE: Only users with Full Control site permission can modify this setting.
All SharePoint Groups deployed to the site are listed.